PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Handle A Missed Flop After You Raised Preflop? ($30s-$200s)

Desdia72
07-05-2004, 04:19 PM
i'm eager to find out from the higher level SNG players how you handle this. i'm pretty much aggressive by nature and i don't like limping. i just hate raising preflop and then have the flop miss me. how do you guys handle this? this is mostly in reference to overcard hands where low cards hit the board or a higher overcard than what you have in your hand.

woodguy
07-05-2004, 04:30 PM
I don't know what you consider "high level", but I'm at work and bored, so FWIW here's what I do...

This is precisely the reason why we should always take position into account when you raise PF, your post flop decsions are always harder without a made hand and you are out of position.
Your PF raise is also designed to drive out the players between you and the button so you have last position, that's why I don't min-raise.

If I was the PF raiser, I will always fire the first shot regardless of whether I hit the flop. You will win alot of pots this way (not all of them) so this move is profitable over the long term.

If someone beats me to the pot and I missed the flop, Its and easy fold.
If I'm first in the pot and someone raises me, again an easy fold.
If I'm first in the pot and someone calls and I have position, take the free river card if they check the turn, if they bet the turn, fold.
If I'm first in the pot and I DON'T have position and I get a caller I curse myself for betting out of position and go into check/fold mode.

regards,
woodguy

Desdia72
07-05-2004, 04:39 PM
*use your own experiences or situations where position, play of the table, read of players, etc. were factors.*

Desdia72
07-05-2004, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what you consider "high level", but I'm at work and bored, so FWIW here's what I do...

This is precisely the reason why we should always take position into account when you raise PF, your post flop decsions are always harder without a made hand and you are out of position.
Your PF raise is also designed to drive out the players between you and the button so you have last position, that's why I don't min-raise.

If I was the PF raiser, I will always fire the first shot regardless of whether I hit the flop. You will win alot of pots this way (not all of them) so this move is profitable over the long term.

If someone beats me to the pot and I missed the flop, Its and easy fold.
If I'm first in the pot and someone raises me, again an easy fold.
If I'm first in the pot and someone calls and I have position, take the free river card if they check the turn, if they bet the turn, fold.
If I'm first in the pot and I DON'T have position and I get a caller I curse myself for betting out of position and go into check/fold mode.

regards,
woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

i mean "higher level" like experience, skill level, and buy-in limits.

woodguy
07-05-2004, 04:52 PM
I generally play $50 & $100 SnG's and the bigger buy-in multi's.
FWIW I am convinced that the $30 SnG's at Party are tougher than the $50's

regards,
woodguy

woodguy
07-05-2004, 05:09 PM
One thing I missed in my original post was that sometimes on a flush or straight draw flop I will fire a 2nd shot IF the turn missed the draw AND I have position.
I feel that online reads in SnG's are too rough to bank on (unless I have previous notes on the player, which is rare on Party) I like to see someone make the same move more than once before I can bank on it.

Classic fire the 1st shot example is when you get 2-3 limpers PF, you raise 4-5xbb with AKo in LP, and most or all call. Garbage flop, all check to you, you bet 2/3-pot and they all fold.
If you are firing the first shot in last position, make sure it not the min or less than 1/2 the pot. If you min-raise a good player will re-raise you to see if you're for real.

regards,
woodguy